I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut, Dead at 85

Okay, here's one for ya . . .

Kurt Vonnegut died earlier today.

I think his official website sums up what I believe his "take" on things to be -

http://www.vonnegut.com

As an avid reader and even more loyal enjoyer of his books, this is the kind of news that, though completely expected at some future point in space and time, still comes as a surprise.

I honestly don't know a whole heckuva lot about his life and interests and stuff, and to be perfectly honest, I doubt that the two of us would even have been able to hang out and converse together for any extended period of time.

What I do know about Kurt is that he had an uncanny ability to create and tell the most insanely interesting stories.

I haven't read him in over a year, but after hearing of Mr. Vonnegut's passing, I will undoubtedly shift the pile a little and give the next book of his in it an unfair advantage at making the top . . . that's for sure.

For my money, his forte' was how he was able to mix genres and always seemed to know just when to toss the unexpected supernatural or unexplainable element into the pot to keep it from boiling over with predictability.

He is best known, of course for the book "Slaughterhouse Five", but I would actually recommend checking out some of his other stuff as well. "The Sirens of Titan" is a really interesting story with a fun ending. "Bluebeard" is easy to read and rewards in typical Vonnegut fashion. I think my favorite of his, however, is "Mother Night". Read it and see if you don't agree that when it's all said and done, you'll only get as confused as he wants you to be.

Classic.

So, in closing I would just like to thank Kurt for the stories and wish him well in all his future endeavors. (That seems about right, doesn't it?)


Ben O.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I heard he died from complications of a fall. It is really sad. My grandmother had a fall this weekend and it made me think of her.

Another brilliant mind has left the world.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sadly, I've never read anything by Mr. Vonnegut, but I do plan to rectify the situation soon.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Kathleen, in the words of the great and wise sage atop the mountian-top place where he sits and contemplates . . .

"Rectification is the first step on the path to clarification. Procrastination is sadly, no longer considered a bona fide step on that sad and lonely path."

Ben O.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I promise. ;-)

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home