I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Friday, April 13, 2007

Feedback Friday (#58)

Okay people . . .


This Friday, we're gonna run-down our lil' list of 10 favorite beers.

I was planning on posting this last week, but then I realized that alcoholic endeavours and Good Friday just don't mix well.


So, I'm posting it today.

Before we begin, let me preface by saying that factors other than flavor were taken into account in creating this list. Our crack team of dedicated tasters also looked at each beer's availability, history, packaging and of course, coolness.


So, here they are . . .

The Top 10 Beers according to the Staff of Procrastination Station -



1. Guinness - This is the fashizzle and even though it has slipped a little in utter-coolness (since it's freakin' everywhere) a pint of Guinness is, for my money, still the most enjoyable beer experience out there.








2. New Belgium 1554 - New Belgium, in Ft. Collins, Colorado is best known for their Fat Tire (which is pretty good). What most people don't know is that it isn't even the brewery's 2nd best beer. 1554 is easily the best product they ship with the overwhelmingly expensive La Folie following right behind.










3. Rolling Rock - Okay, I know this beer isn't going to win any awards. I just like it. I think having a picture of a horse on your bottle and some mysterious saying about the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe makes it even cooler to drink. And isn't it all about being cool?









4. Hale's Cream Ale - I think that Hale's is one of Seattle's best undiscovered beer treasures. There's just something about that creaminess and drink-ability.












5. Fuller's London Pride - This is a great beer and it has the awards to prove it. I love how old the breweries are over in the UK. I'm pretty sure this one has been around for about 3,000 years.








6. Mackeson Stout - I must admit a taste for darker beers and this doesn't disappoint. I can't even remember why I began drinking Mackeson, but it somehow seems to get better and better each time I partake.








7. Caledonian Deuchars IPA - I discovered this gem in Edinburgh and I haven't been the same since. If only they would open a franchise-location in Denver, all would be right with the world.







8. Shiner Bock - Brewed in Texas with attitude. I think I still have some wooden "free sample" tokens from the tour.











9. Redhook ESB - This beer should be so much bigger than it is right now. There's a reason everyone single person in the Pacific Northwest drinks this beer. It's good. The brewery has style too. Nice outfit.




10. Stella Artois - Okay, I know this has become the most ultra-sheik beer around. You can't go anywhere without somebody handing you a bottle of it like they personally discovered some new "unknown" treasure. With any other flashy, Euro-Beer it would be so easy to just smile, drink some, dismiss it and move on. The problem with Stella is that it actually tastes really good. I give it very high marks. I guess Belgium is the promised land of beer after all.




Now, I would never even consider that my list is going to be the same as your list.

That's where the feedback portion of this lil' exercise comes in to play . . .

Your homework assignment is to leave your own top 10 (or fewer . . . or more) in our comments section.



I'm already looking forward to reading all about it





Ben O.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn said...

1-9 XX Amber

10 Corona

German brew masters who moved to Mexico can make some damn good beer. I'll be breaking the man law of "don't fruit the beer" in two hours.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh! You picked three of my favs and we share the #1. You have good taste.

Okay, my fav is Guiness, as I just said. The rest are tied for two, depending on my mood - Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat, Shiner Boch, Redhook, and various Samuel Adams.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Ah, you already know I agree with re: Guinness. After that, here goes.

2. Just about any IPA, it's my new favorite and it makes me crazy that more bars don't carry an IPA. YUM!

3. Sierra Nevada Porter - you can find the pale ale most everywhere, but the porter is harder to find. In a pinch the pale ale will do.

4. Black Butte Porter - I haven't been able to get this since I left San Francisco, which saddens me greatly.

5. Saranac Black & Tan - I think that's the one I liked. It's been so long since I've been able to get Saranac in Michigan that I've forgotten. So so so sad.

6. Great Lakes Brewing Company - Edmund Perry's IPA & Burning River Pale Ale - yes, there's a theme to my beer choices.

7. Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout

Enough?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Enough . . .

Ben O.

11:11 AM  
Blogger DelBoy said...

Same #1 here too: Guinness

The rest, in no particular order:
Heineken, Red Stripe, Budvar, Corona, Windhoek Lager(from Namibia), Sam Adams' Fosters (tried it last weekend in Ft Lauderdale. Mmmmm mmmmm), Westmalle, Amstel and James Boags.

Check out this website:
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/

11:13 AM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

I'm afraid I've stuck on Michelob so long that I haven't tried any of those.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home