I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Monday, January 14, 2008

Feedback Monday (#72)


Okay, here's one for ya . . .

So last night we were all deprived of the annual privilege of worshipping and celebrating the best and most praise-worthy individuals that live on this planet - movie stars (and TV actors, I know how the Golden Globes works.)

Let me just be the first to say that I didn't really miss it all that much. Am I just being a "Mr. Negative-Pants" or are some of you out there joining me in not being terribly upset about the cancelled awards show? Hey, I love a good movie as much as the next guy (even if the next guy happens to be named Roger Ebert), but couldn't we just get together once or twice a decade and celebrate the movies? Does it really say in the Constitution that we as Americans are required annually to sit through a 17 & 1/2 hour long Hollywood love-fest?

I humbly submit that our beloved founding fathers were wise beyond their years in shaving that portion out of the final draft.

That's just me, though.

Okay, let's be honest here people - not even George Clooney's mother wants to listen to him deliver yet another bloated, over-opinionated acceptance speech for some artsy-fartsy "indie" (Whatever that means!?!) film that nobody will ever go see, but everyone always seems to want to talk about. It's as simple as that.

The only part I actually missed was that infinitely awkward moment where the nerdy costume designer (who they never let out of the sub-basement workshop) is about to finish his speech and they start playing the "That's it, you're done" music and he holds onto the podium for dear life as they mercilessly send in the bouncers to drag his pathetic carcass off into never-ending oblivion.

That's always worth a laugh or two.

So, what part did you miss the most?

That's the assignment this week.


Looking forward to it - Ben O.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I were gonna to leave a comment, but my writers is in strike...

Seriously, the last time I watched an awards show on TV, I think "On Golden Pond" was winning something. I feel so culturally ignorant...

11:43 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Never watched those award shows. I'm convinced the whole lot of them have self-esteem issues. Think of it this way, why would anyone need acceptance from thousands of people they'll never meet?

When watching a film, I just want to be entertained. I could care less about the actors. Actors are just people who pretend to be people. I care about the storyline and the plot, so I give most of the credit to the writers, who by the way, deserve more money than actors.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Well said, Zombie. Who does your writing?

Ben O.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I rarely watch the awards shows, as they give the "big ones" out last and I need my butt to be in bed long before that is scheduled to happen.

On the other hand, the Golden Globes are usually good for some drunkenness...

Truth be told, however, I didn't miss them at all.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I stopped watching them when it dawned on me I don't really watch movies anymore. More for lack of time than interest.

As a professed champion of the underdog, I do miss the speeches given by the "behind the scenes" guys. I always feel such exhilaration for them when they get their couple minutes in the spotlight, no matter that no one else is paying attention.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home