I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Rewind Button Shall Set You Free

Okay, here's one for ya . . .

Wasn't it the oft-forgotten French philosopher and racquetball player, Antoine chandelier, who once infamously said "Let our children not be such a pain in our bottoms, for the knowest not what they do"?

I know that today's technology and scientific advances place us squarely in one of the most exciting times to be alive yet (excluding of course that whole nasty medieval era they toyed around with over in Europe a few years back). The truth is that you can't fling a dead lobster these days (oh, how I love to fling those dead lobsters) without having it hit some unsuspecting techno-geek in the nose.

Mind you, those techno-geeks everywhere. And why shouldn't they be?

The sad part to my lil' story is what they neglected to mention when I traded in my sanity for the newly upgraded version 2.01. Namely, that some of the old, outdated stuff is actually pretty cool. Now, I'm not saying that 8 Track players are superior to iPods. Any casual music listener can successfully choose the better of those two inventions. It's just a little sad that my son will never know what a record is, or what roller skates look like, or even what Jimmy Buffet was talking about when he "blew out his flip flop" by "stepping on a pop-top." For that matter, does any kid born within the past 5 years even know what a "rewind" button is?

The blank stares coming in are answer enough.

For cryin' out loud, I can see it now. We're all gonna have to pack up the SUV and head into town so I can take the family to the Natural History Museum and show them all the "Ancient History" exhibit. I hear they have a great collection of '80s Hair Metal cassette tapes.


Those were the days . . . even if $4 coffee wasn't yet a twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye.


Ben O.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Tell me about it...one of my co-workers didn't know what Gilligan's Island was. I had to explain UHF VHF TVs to him, and how Gilligan's Island was on channel 20 here in Detroit for most of the 70s.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home