I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Friday, June 09, 2006

A Sack Full of Saxophones (or Feedback Friday (#33))


Well, it's Feedback Friday dudes and that means it's time to . . .

What the heck does it mean?

Evil Twin Biff would have us all believe that any day is a good day for some blindfolded skydiving or even a little nude ice climbing. He's not exactly right in the head, although he does have two (count 'em, two!) Presidential Commendations for Bravery and Valor. I'm not really sure what he got them for, but he's more than happy to show them off if properly motivated.

Speaking of motivation, I was listening to the radio this afternoon and this week's question just hit me like sack full of rusty, broken hammers. Actually it was more like a sack full of saxophones.

What does that mean, you ask . . .

I'll tell you.

For today's feedback session, I want to know all about your 3 favorite songs that have saxophone in them. Sound tough? Well, there's more. They can't be Jazz songs . . . I want Rock 'n' Roll songs.

That's right, to pass the test ya gotta fill us all in on your top 3 Non-Jazz songs that are sportin' a lil' sax.

This should be fun . . .


Ben O.

14 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

INXS--Never Tear Us Apart
Sting--Fortress Around Your Heart
Wham!--Careless Whisper

and I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feeling I've got no rythm

10:43 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Wow!, that's a list to build a life around.

I've been listening to alot of INXS lately. Sort of relearning all about them.

Sting has a very deep jazz thread through his music. Fortress is one of his best both musically & lyrically.

Ben O.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Baker Street is the only one I can think of... if I have the correct title. Yech, I'm useless at this stuff!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Terri - I'm not familiar with that one.

What about -

Pink Floyd - Us & Them
Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark
Duran Duran - Rio
Hall & Oates - Maneater
The Rolling Stones - Waiting on a Friend
Roxy Music - Avalon
Spandau Ballet - True

The list goes on and on . . .

Ben O.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I have to say None, because I am not a fan of the saxophone, so pay no attention to it. Although I know the songs listed by Sadie Lou I would have known they had the sax in them.

Song Terri is thinking of was that song from the 80s....oh, damn, who did it. One-hit wonder, kind of. Gerry Rafferty (thank God for older brothers).

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

*sigh* "would NOT have..."

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink Floyd: Money
Peter Gabriel: Family Snapshot
Be Bop Tango: Frank Zappa

5:39 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

geeze. I'm way disappointed in the non participation here.
Great list you offered, excpet Duran Duran always abuses the sax more than they make good use of it.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Fred - Pink Floyd is probably one of the best groups to use the sax. Many good examples there.

Sadie - I agree . . . wimps! I thought this was a great question.

I think this might be the first ever reported case of "Saxophone Abuse".

What exactly is the penalty for said offense?

Ben O.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

getting a sax twisted around your neck? Or, having to listen to Duran Duran's greatest hits.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Ben--what do you think of INXS's new singer? Did you watch that show where the band auditioned the singers?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Baker Street is by Gerry Rafferty.

Bitch - Rolling Stones

What's going on? - Marvin Gaye

3:42 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Ultra Toast - I almost included What's Going On (I love that song), but in a moment of weakness, I couldn't decide if it was sax or possibly oboe or something else. I think after listening closely, that it is in fact a sax. Way to go.

Sadie - I'm sensing some anti-Duran Duran sentiment flowing over here from The Junction. Yes?

I actually missed that show where INXS got their new singer. I am a pretty big fan of their original stuff, though. I need to give the new guy a chance.

Ben O.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Glenn said...

Sax Songs

"Heart of Rock-N-Roll"
Huey Lewis (or any Huey Lewis song for that matter)

"Tequila"
The Champs (best karaoke song for those that can't sing)

"Low Rider"
War (not sure if it qualifies as rock and roll)

BTW: fun blog Ben

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home