I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Tunnel at The End of The Light

What a blast! (Apologies to those of you out there who don't exactly get excited about all this "what-if-music-talk". I would probably go all glazed over after a few hours of Knitting 101, so I can sympathize. But for now . . . deal with it.)

Believe it or not, I think I have finally come up with the Ultimate Dream Rock 'n Roll Band. It was actually much harder than I originally thought it would be. This became something of a labor of love the likes of which I hadn't accurately predicted when I offhandedly tossed the question out there like some dang fool letting rocks go into one of those fake amusement park ponds.

But, after much deliberation I'm pretty sure that it's finished.

And without any further fanfare, here is the lineup of Ben O's Ultimate Dream Rock 'n Roll Band -

Drums - Neil Peart of RUSH. This guy's nickname is "The Professor" and the truth is that he basically plays every single freakin' song like he's putting on a clinic. The man is simply ultra-amazing. Now I know that RUSH is not exactly mainstream or even likeable by most of you out there, but you have got to do yourself a favor and listen to at least a few of their songs sometime and check out how intense this guy's skills are. No question here - it was Neil from the get go.

Bass - Flea of The Red Hot Chili Peppers. What a cool dude. Even if he couldn't play that good he would still be in the running simply on style points. But, here's the rub . . . he is actually really, really good. I love a bass player that knows when to be the rhythm and when to shine a little bit. He does.

Piano - Dave Brubeck. Two words - "Take Five". Great stuff. He's in the band for his ability and musical sense, but I have to admit that I am also interested in seeing him hang out with all the youngblood after the show. To be a fly on the wall for some of that conversation, huh?

Keyboards - Eddie Van Halen. This one just came to me. He's the perfect keyboard player because if your lead guitarist goes down with the Mumps or Montezuma's Revenge or something like that, he can grab a pick and take off.

Saxophone - Charlie Parker. I like a little sax in my rock song from time to time and this guy can certainly play. Maybe, just maybe he can teach some of the young whipersnappers in the band a little class and culture as well. One can certainly hope.

Rhythm Guitar - The Edge. This was the ultimate "No Brainer". Dave Evans (aka "The Edge") is without a doubt the most musical guy on-stage whenever U2 plays and I want that ability to make the magic happen in my standing guitarist. He really does make it look (and sound) so easy. And he has a cool name . . . that will always get you points in my book.

Lead Guitar - David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. This one was probably the hardest to choose. I wanted to include Stevie Ray Vaughan and then I wanted Joe Satriani and there are even others, but when it came down to it, Dave has to be the man. Just listen to "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" and you will agree with me. This guy is simply a silky smooth lead player with an intensely refined knowledge of all things musical. He plays one of my favorite guitars (the Fender Stratocaster) and he can sing back-up vocals. I actually love his voice. Strangely enough Pink Floyd songs are some of my favorites to sing along with because of where his voice falls on the register. I'm actually listening to him play as I type this out. Great stuff.

Lead Vocals - Sarah McLachlan, Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac and Marvin Gaye. Okay, I cheated a little bit here, but I always knew that I was going to have one of those multi-singer bands ala Chicago or Fleetwood Mac. I like the variety they provide. Sarah, I'm convinced won a poker game with an angel, robbing it of it's voice. I love the emotion she fills her singing with. Beautiful. Christine's songs have always been my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. She lays it all out there and somehow keeps you guessing just a little bit about how she really feels. If you cry at heartfelt songs, don't play any of her songs on your iPod in public. You'll be sobbing in no time. Marvin Gaye is gonna keep this whole talent-crazy production grounded in what really matters. He sings from some hidden place deep within his soul and he has an unteachable understanding of vocal recording. Listen to some of his better cuts and you can hear him singing multiple tracks masterfully layered over another. If we ever get all these egos in the studio at one time, he can work the board and create some real sonic magic.

Principle Songwriting - Bono, Paul Simon, Sting and that dude from Counting Crows. Not much to say here except that lyrics are extremely important in my opinion and these guys are impeccable in that department. The saddest part is that the writing of intricate, meaningful lyrics is such a lost art these days. (Notice the complete and total lack of any and all boy-band members and/or bubble-gum "look-at-me" pop princesses on the list.)

Pan Flute - Zamfir. What can you say . . . he's the undisputed master of the pan flute.

Now the only thing left to do is name the band. How about "The Tunnel at The End of The Light". Don't ask, I just like the sound of it.


Ben O.

BTW - Please continue to comment on this entire string of thought and if you submitted ideas for your own band, please tell us what you would call them.

BTW2 - Go check out Mark's blog where he is asking the reader a slightly different, yet equally interesting musical question.

22 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

Tinnitus!
Without the exclamation mark, but I always wanted to name a band Acouphène (in French) or Tinnitus. The exclamation mark just showed how happy I am to let the world know. Am I babbling? Why, I believe I am...

3:24 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Anne - I am admittedly the world's worst understander of the French language (although I readily proclaim that it is the most beautiful language on Earth.), so what do those words mean?

And - please don't ever worry about babbling on my blog. I covered the couch in plastic . . . I'm ready for anything your babbling self can dish out.

Ben O.

3:33 PM  
Blogger anne said...

Tinnitus is a ringing sensation in one's ear. It's like a disease.
That's the English word, and Acouphène is its French counterpart. :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Oh . . . I actually think I have had that from listening to too much Iron Maiden before. Just kidding. Nice name for a band, though.

Ben O.

3:51 PM  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Flea, Fleetwood Mac and Bono --OK by me!

5:25 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I can just picture Zamfir rocking out to a cover of 'Back in Black'. Thanks for burning that visual into my brain.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

What a band man! If only their slightly enlarged egos didn't get in the way--they'd have a solid musical career!
"The guy from Counting Crows" has a great ability for turning out awesome lyrics. I saw him in concert and he looked like he had a giant tarantula growing off his head.

8:38 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

I've always wanted to name a band 'Stale Green'. Not exactly sure why, but there it is.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

WOW! you did put alot of thought into that. I think those are excellent choices (sans Zamfir). Dave Brubeck is awesome and "Take Five" is the ultimate chillin out song. I'd probably call the band "Apocolypse" because that's what it would take to get all those guys together probably, plus if Zamfir is in it-there ya go.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Manic - Fleetwood Mac is one of the most underated bands around IMHO. I actually had an experience recently with a youngster who was going through his CDs telling me all about these new bands (most of which I had never heard) when he came to Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits. I was shocked, but he said he loves them. You just never know.

Fuzz - No problem whatsoever. Zamfir is obviously a joke, but I do like some quirks in my band, so you never know. (am I going to end each reply comment with that today?)

Sadie - I totally agree. What the heck is that dude from Counting Crows' name? Anyone know? (There just might be 10 points in it for ya. And please don't tell me to google it. My google is worn out already. That didn't sound all that wholesome.)

Lingo - Can you imagine the crowd. They would have to rent out a small island just to accomdate everyone who would be interested. Or not.

NYpinta - Stale Green, huh? Isn't it interesting that one person finds cool for a band name someone else might not. I actually like that, but it reminds me of that soylent green stuff. Not good for album sales.

Nonny - Isn't Brubeck the greatest? Anyone who says they don't like jazz for whatever reason can't help but get into "Take Five" when they hear it. It has been used in some movies and I am convinced that some people don't even know they like it because they haven't put a name to that tune that is stuck in their head.

Ben O.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

it's Adam-Something. Darn it, I used to know. He had a mad crush on Katie Holmes--I DO remember that.

Hey, what's with that HUGE banner about the image-hosting thing?
It's taking over your blog!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Adam Duritz. I thought of it just as I hit Publish...

2:26 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Sadie - I don't know what you're talking about. Can you not see my collage image of my perfect band?

It looks fine on my screen when I look at the frontpage.

I feel like I've had a booger on my face all day and somebody is just now telling me about it.

Thanks . . .

Ben O.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

No, it's not the band collage, it's your banner that says Procrastination Station--there's this huge square that says something about hotlinking and there's a yellow frog and some warning and it's gigantic! Like four inches of blog space. it's on my friend Crystal's blog too. Go there and see if you can see hers:
Save the Kittens (on my blogroll) hers are small and on the left of her screen.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

I forgot all about Flea! Damn.

Great lineup. :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger StringMan said...

Flea has to be the trippiest bass player out there. I can't hear his name without thinking of the Peppers playing with just socks on their Johnsons at one of their shows - and Flea making his sock "headbang". Classic!

Brilliant to have Van Halen on keys. What a backup stringer. Brilliant.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Sadie - Now you just have me freaking out. I can't see anything. I went to Save the Kittens and didn't see a thing. I think I might know what it could be. The banner is hosted on this free site with a little yellow frog as their "symbol", but I haven't heard anything from them about any of it.

Does anyone else see anything strange with the look of the site? (Other than the content . . . I stepped into that one.)

Shannon - The Melting Pot is a pretty good name. I also Like the Maniacle Mystery Tour or something grandiose like that. Who are your peeps? Sorry to shut them out.

Laurie - Thanks. I just love listening to Neil Peart. When RUSH played Red Rocks I was literally mezmorized watching his drum solo. The freaking drum set completely encircled him, with the front half acoustic drums and the back half electronic drums . . . and believe it or not, it swiveled and he played them all. Totally awesome.

Jess - You can't go forgetting about Flea. He's too good for that.

Stringman - I'm not entire sure that I could go out on stage with nothing but my instrument and . . . my instrument. I mean the dude was wearing a sock. How do you even put a sock on? Don't answer that. Thanks for the nod on the Eddie-keyboard choice. I thought it was pretty smart. I was a little worried, but I went back and listened to 1984 and he is actually pretty good at the keys, so we're good in that department.

Ben O.

10:46 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

What a fantasy to have. That's such a cool concept.

Okay, I want to copy you. here goes:

Drums - Living - Peart. Dead - Cozy Powell.

Bass - The bassist from Iron Maiden. That guy's awesome.

Piano - That would be a tough one, because for piano, I only like classical (it would be Van Cliburn) and ragtime.

Keyboards - see Piano.

Sax - I like the sax, but have no fav because I only know a few sax players.

rhythm guitar - the guitarriest for Dire Straits. Mark Knoffler.

Lead guitar - Living - Yngwie Malmsteen or Ritchie Blackmore. Dead - Why of course - Jimi.

Lead vocals - Male Living - Rob Halford. Male Dead - Freddie Mercury. Female Living - Tori Amos. Female Dead - Janis Joplin.

That was fun, Ben O. Do something like that again. :)

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know who's a great guitar player, but you wouldn't know it from his CD's? John Mayer - yeah, he's actually very good.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Ben O.--
I don't know what to say. I see it, I don't know if anyone else can see. They took your banner away (from my perspective anyways).
It's still there.

Mark--
I love John Mayer. His new CD TRY! is VERY good. Very blues oriented--John is steering away from pop-radio hits and focusing on the music and it sounds fab.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Dude, that is not cool. I don't see anything, but Sadie does. Strange.

Does anyone else see anything weird with the Procrastination Station banner across the top? Please let me know . . . I want to fix it if there is something fishy going on.

Mark & Sadie - I totally agree. I like some of his poppy stuff (Wonderland is very well written song, IMHO), but I think he is really a rocker/blues player that is wrestling to come out. I saw him do a concert thing on VH-1 with Paul Simon and it was literally just he and Paul and he played the guitar on "Your the One" and a couple of other songs and it was really impressive. I also know that he idolized SRV, which can never hurt a guitar player.

Ben O.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

The bass player from Iron Maiden is Steve Harris, also the band's principal songwriter and resident history buff. He's a keeper.

I'm Glen from Record Store Stories and here's my band:

Drums: Rock - Neil Peart
Jazz - Elvin Jones

Bass: Rock - Steve Harris
Jazz - Paul Chambers

Guitar: Rock - Jimmy Page
Jazz - Kenny Burrell

Horns: Trumpet - Lee Morgan
Sax - John Coltrane
Sax - Hank Mobley
Trombone - Curtis Fuller

Piano: Rock - Tony Banks
Jazz - Horace Silver

Vocals: Rock - Michael Hutchence
Soul - Sam Cooke
Jazz - Billie Holiday

Great topic! Fun fact, Brubeck didn't write TAKE FIVE, Paul Desmond did.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home