I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Cream of Buffalo Soup


Okay, here's one for ya . . .

Wasn't it Andy Warhol who once said that everyone at some point in their life gets the distinct privilege of standing next to some troubled guy named Fester McGuido in the "less-than-full-price" aisle of their local grocery store for 15 of the longest minutes ever wondering why there are so many freakin' flavors of canned soup? I'd have to check my records, but I'm pretty sure that is at least partially accurate.

Now I'm no expert, but isn't it about time one of those nameless, faceless super-conglomerate laboratories in New Jerseyville, Idaho or some other place known for it's impeccable taste in food started creating some canned soups that actually sound more appealing than "Turkish Twice-Baked Radish Delight"?

The answer is yes . . . or at least heck yes.

How 'bout some "French Fry and Pizza Mulligatawny" or "Red Wine Surprise"? Hey, I would even settle for a few cans of "I Can't Believe It's Not Lobster".

I'm just like everyone else . . . nobody wants to be known as the dude who could never stick the landing. I just can't eat another bowl of warmed over red stuff. Is a nice warm tankard of ale and an inviting serving of "Essence of Chocolate-Covered Marshmallow" soup too much to ask?

I humbly submit that it ain't.

And shouldn't be for that matter . . .

Until next time,


Ben O.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

That.
Was.
Weird.

seriously, I think I have a huge question mark floating over my head...

10:44 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I want some Chocolate-Covered Marshmallow soup.

11:06 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

And if they're going to put meat in soup, can it please be identifiable as meat?

12:26 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Sadie -

I.
Am.
Weird.

Just ranting on the state of canned soup. Those floating question marks can be dangerous. You always forget to bend down low enough and undoubtedly bump the shelf a little.

Beading Gal - Sounds good, huh?

Trin - I can support that. It sort of ruins the whole experience when the steak bits look more like petrified nuggets of dirt.

Ben O.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

have you ever seen that can that says,"Whole Chicken" or the one that says,"Raisin Bread"?

My mom and I always see those and cringe.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

I always get sort of cringy when I see those jars of pickled animal parts. Not good.

And what is up with Head Cheese? That just sounds totally nasty.

I'll stick with velveeta, thank you very much!

Ben O.

5:26 PM  
Blogger StringMan said...

Soup just doesn't do it for me. I have to be desperate and out of options to settle for soup. If it's my only option, I drain all of the fluid (broth?) and just keep whatever stuff is left. Even that is only minimally satisfying.

I would be happy if Seinfeld's soup Nazi gave me a "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" I'm just sayin ...

10:11 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Strings - (in my best Soup Nazi) No Soup For You!

That was fun . . .

Ben O.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, youngsters, here is MOM with some advice: DON'T buy soup in a can - make it yourself!! Soup can be one of the most delicious and satisfying meals ever, especially it is a touch on the cool side outdoors. And it is very easy to make. Some of my favorites are Taco soup, Chicken tortilla and baked potato. I won't bore you with recipes here, but if anyone is really interested, let me know.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Leave it to my Mom to put all of us young whipper-snappers back in our places.

Maybe I should start a Recipe Exchange Thursday feature here on the Station.

Love ya - Ben O.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Ben-O's mom I make my own homemade veggie soup and the family luvs it! :)
I also make a combo turkey/veggie soup after Thanksgiving.

The baked potato soup sounds yummie.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Delte777 said...

lol...how weird is it to own a few cans of soup but no can opener? just keep the soup at your house so your family thinks you aren't broke and have stuff to eat. but the truth is you NEVER cook. and the whole charade comes falling down during your birthday party when no one can find the can opener to open the rotel for the cheese dip...then it hits them..you really don't cook and it is possibly for the best that you do not yet have children :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Homemade soups rock! I make a chicken veggie soup that would soothe the soul of a deranged maniac.

You're right though - something about staring at all the classic soup titles makes me nuts in the supermarket.

As to the soup Nazi - did you know you can actually GO to the original Soup Nazi place in NYC? Yup. I may have to make it one of my stops next time I'm in town. I love me some soup!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home