I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Feedback Friday (#18)

Okay people, Friday is here yet again and guess what . . . I'm still in a musical mood. I momentarily pondered asking everyone out there something like "What is your favorite hamburger condiment?" or "What is your favorite color?" or even "What do you want etched on your tombstone" (actually that one ain't too bad. Gotta file it away for future reference), but with all the "rock-band and iPod talk" going around here lately, I just can't shake this desire to dig a little deeper into the collective musical psyche.

So, here goes -

As far as I can tell, there are no more perks left upon the foreseeable horizon to be dispensed by the Management Big-Wigs here at Procrastination Station after Evil Twin Biff was simultaneously awarded both the closest parking space AND the last remaining faux "Masters-ish" green blazer in an hour long, pomp-and-circumstance riddled ceremony this afternoon that cut halfway into my lunchbreak. I so had my heart set on getting one of those studly looking sportcoats, too. They're such a nice shade of lime-green, and that little Procrastination Station company logo/crest emblazoned prominently upon the lapel just shouts "I've finally made it in the blog-world". Darn-it-all!

I'm not bitter, though. At least I still have what every good blog-slogger out there has going for them - the undying praise and adoration of my peers. Right?

Anyone?

Hello?

Beuller?

Mom?

Wow, I actually think I heard an echo emanate from my computer screen. Is that even possible?

Okay, let's get on with it, shall we? This time I want to know all about your 3 favorite instrumental songs. This one might be a tad subtle. If you find yourself reading this and you are really into Jazz, Classical or maybe even Elevator Music you shouldn't encounter any problems at all coming up with 3 really good contenders, but if the names Britney and/or Justin are listed on the back of your favorite CDs then you might be searching for awhile to find an actual instrument, much less an instrumental song. Good luck.

So that's it. The assignment is to list your three favorite instrumental (meaning music only - no words) songs and what you like about them. Afterall, the reasons are the best part. Right?

This should be fun.


Ben O.

16 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Here is a weird mix: Amazing Grace played on bagpipes, The theme from Hawaii Five-O, and The Star Spangled Banner done by Jimi Hendrix.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I like "Flight of the Bumblebee"
Cake's Arco Arena

and Sleepwalk That's that song that played in the movie Los Lobos--Richie Valans--do you know which one I mean? That haunting guitar and 50's sound?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Undr - uh, dude . . . instrumental songs, not instruments. But, I'll go ahead and give ya 68 points for effort. Don't spend 'em all in once place.

Fuzz - I actually like that Bagpipe "Amazing Grace" that is out there floating around.

Sadie - Yep, "Sleepwalk" is a nice choice. I don't know the Cake song, although I should, because everything of theirs that I've heard has been awesome.

Laurie - I'm with you on Joe Satriani. I've seen him live twice now and he never ceases to amaze me. I especcially like "Always With Me, Always With You", "Flying in a Blue Dream", "Ice-9", "Secret Prayer", "House Full of Bullets" and of course - "Until We Say Goodbye". His songs are so powerful that they don't even need words. His guitar provides way more than enough melody.

Good Stuff so far - Ben O.

3:17 PM  
Blogger StringMan said...

Here are my 3 favs:

-- Riviera Paradise, Stevie Ray Vaughn

-- In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Allman Brothers (Filmore Concerts)

-- Whammer Jammer, J.Geils Band (Magic Dick on harp)

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Embraceable You (With Strings) by Clifford Brown & Max Roach
- This song is just perfect in my mind. I don't know what else to say, it's perfect!

Cinema Paradiso (Love Theme)
by Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny
- I could listen to this song probably 100 times on loop and not mind.

Desafinado (Off Key) by Charlie Byrd & Stan Getz
- I could list just about anything by Stan Getz.

man, if I find the bar playing this music, I will never leave...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Rockstar Mom said...

Hey, thanks for posting your comment.

So...as far as instrumentals go...my favs would be:

Soul Bosso Nova by Quincy Jones

Second would have to be the instrumental version (elevator music, if you will) version of The Girl from Imponema, because it makes me think of Jake & Elwood Blues quietly riding the elevator to the Cook County Tax Assessor's office while the SWAT team is otherwise raiding the building in hot pursuit.

....and....

That's all I got.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

I think my top three are -

1. "Lenny" by Stevie Ray Vaughan

2. "Terminal Frost" by Pink Floyd

and

3. "Time to Say Goodbye (Con te Partiro)" by Chris Botti

**Note that Joe Satriani is the master at totally kick-butt guitar instrumentals and is worthy of an entire post himself. I just couldn't decide from so many excellent options with him.

Check him out if you haven't already heard his stuff.

Ben O.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lenny by SRV is a great choice, think I would go with Cluster One by Floyd though.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Mark, don't get me started about Floyd instrumentals. They're all good.

When You're In
Obscured by Clouds
On The Run
Terminal Frost
Cluster One
Marooned

Great stuff - if you haven't checked out Pink Floyd lately, go back and give them a listen. They are so intricate and musical.

Ben O.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Dude, how could I forget Signs of Life?

Ben O.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Framesby 86 said...

Ok, don't laugh at my choice, but I am going to take you back a bit. I love Baker Street, done on sax and I remember listening to my father playing Shadows instrumentals when I was young. He is a guitar player and I just love that sound.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oscillate Wildly - The Smiths
Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Bass Trap - U2

Brother O

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to cheat and add a 4th

Novice Ambient Cannibalization - Appleseed Cast

Brother O

8:13 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Buddess - long time no see . . . thanks for hitting the Station. I love a well played sax. I think it mixes quite well with electric guitar.

Fredcq - I need to listen to more Zappa. I must confess to not knowing much about his stuff. I totally agree with you on the Maiden and RUSH, though. How could I have forgotten all about YYZ? Incidentally, do you know where the title of that song comes from? Anyone? There's 150 points in it for ya.

Brother O - Really, really good to hear from you. I was hoping you would chime in on some of the "Music Week" posts here at PS. The Smiths are so underrated. I actually forgot all about Oscillate. That is a good one, though. SRV has many that I would include on a longer list, for sure. I would submit that "Little Wing" contains some of the best guitar playing (both tone and skill) in the history of recorded music.

No Cheating! Seriously, I haven't heard that one, but I like the name so it can't be too bad. Isn't that the band with the really good drummer?

Ben O.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Fredcq - It is such a great song. I read somewhere that it is pronounced "Why Why Zed" which is apparently the code for the Toronto Airport. Pretty cool stuff, actually.

Ben O.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

1. Anything by David Sylvian.
2. Mahler's Sym #5 - the whole damn thing.
3. Tchaikowsky's 1812 Overture

That was too easy.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home