I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Monday, March 10, 2008

Feedback Monday (#75)


So, I see that Madonna has been inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. Well, while we're at it, why not just let a little more of the riff raff come scurrying in?

The truth is that I don't have too much of a problem with Madonna, even though I would argue that she has never recorded a rock 'n' roll song in her life. She has always been a larger than life personality and her music has certainly transcended beyond the mere moment into history.

I think the true issue here is with the name of the building, not who has been sneakin' in lately.

It should really be something more like "The If your Career Lasts Long Enough and You have at Least a Handful of Decent Songs" Hall of Fame.

Am I ruffling anybody's feathers here?

Good.

For that matter, did you know that Miles Davis is already in the Hall of Fame? Not the Jazz Hall of Fame, the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Strangely, I don't even have too much of a problem with this either. Miles was an amazing artist and certainly deserves to be enshrined in some hall of fame somewhere.

When you get right down to it, Hall of Fames are a tad bit silly anyway. So there's a building in Cleveland (why the heck did they pick Cleveland, btw!?!) and supposedly the best rock 'n' roll musicians of all time are enshrined there. If I were to walk in the front door would I see a plaque for KISS or possibly Journey or what about Guns 'n' Roses? No you say?

Well, that sort of proves my point. I would go if I ever found myself near Cleveland (which I probably never will) simply because I love music. But, just because some dudes pick A over B to be enshrined doesn't mean that B doesn't totally rock the house. Many a riff will go ringing on through the night to go unnoticed by those that wield the power.

So, on that note let's transition into this week's feedback question. Don't worry, it's related to the info above.

Who do you think should be inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame that doesn't already have that credit next to their name?

Bring it on - let's get the heated debate started.

Should be interesting - Ben O.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Easy peasy!

Iggy & the Stooges
Joy Division

Those are the two that keep me away from the Hall of Fame. I've been to Cleveland many many many times, but I refuse to go until they can induct seminal musicians like that, and two of my favorites.

At least Madonna had the sense (she's all about business sense, though, isn't she?) to ask the Stooges to perform two of her songs. I haven't seen it yet, but I did DVR that portion of the ceremony and will watch tonight.

6:54 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

KISS isn't in the Hall of Fame? I'm shocked. Seriously. I have a memory of an advertisment for the TV airing of the inductees... and KISS being there! Maybe I'm remembering an alternate reality?

1:39 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

How about Weird Al? ;)

3:04 PM  
Blogger J. Hi said...

Maybe they are a bit young for it but someday I hope The Foo Fighters will get in. They rock.
I visited the Hall once and all I remember is the TV that Elvis shot. That was the highlight for me.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a really cool place to visit. I'm not sure why they put it in Cleveland, but why not? Cleveland was actually an interesting place to visit. What I liked most about the R&R Hall was that it got you interested in music you might not have heard of...and I think that's a good thing. The name may not be accurate, but they do have a lot of different people in there.

Surprisingly, I was amazed at TLC's outfits from the "Waterfalls" video. They were SOOOOO tiny! (I'm easily amused.)

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home