I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Feedback Sunday (#41)

Okay, here's something for ya . . .

I told Sadie that I would respond to her "Book Tag" on Friday, but clearly I have no concept of what day it is . . .

Today's gonna have to do -

1. One book that changed your life?

I still remember reading Roald Dahl's timeless classic "Charlie and the Charlie Factory" way back in childhood. It was the first book I picked out myself and read for fun and it got me hooked on the exercise. It's actually a really good book, too.

2. One book you have read more than once?

The only book I have read more than once is The Bible. My wife re-reads books all the time and I just can't bring myself to do it. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of books that are worthy of a second shot, but I literally have stacks of books just waiting to be read. I'm always looking forward to that next great story.

3. One book you would want on a deserted island?

Uh, the practical answer is probably "The Idiot's Guide to Surviving on a Deserted Island", but I think I would rather have some really deep fiction . . . like Eco or Rushdie; or maybe even a classic.

4. One book that made you laugh?

I'm always telling people that haven't read any Stephen King books, that I actually think he is funnier than he is scary. Don't get me wrong, there's some horror on those pages (hence the placement in the "horror" section), but his characters can (and often are) incredibly humorous.

5. One book that made you cry?

"The Lovely Bones" was pretty sad. Nicholas Sparks has written some tearjerkers, too.

6. One book you wish had been written?

My first novel.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

I'm sure there are plenty of propaganda/hate manuals and such that our lil' planet would undoubtedly be better off without. I'm not a huge fan of censorship . . . just responsibility. In my perfect world, there would be no laws restricting certain things from being published, there just wouldn't be anyone interested in writing them or wanting to read them.

8. One book you are currently reading?

I'm reading a really interesting book all about the making of the movie Bladerunner, called "Future Noire". (Check it out - It's linked right over there on the left of the page.)

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

There is a book by Caleb Carr called "The Alienist" that everyone keeps telling me to read. Hopefully I can get to it sooner than later.

10. Now tag five people:

Again, we're not going to tag anyone this week . . . instead, please leave your answers to these questions in the comments section.


Thanks - Ben O.

7 Comments:

Blogger mcBlogger said...

1. One book that changed your life?

They all do in some way shape or form.

2. One book you have read more than once?

Flash/Actionscript Manual. Man, I hate that book.

3. One book you would want on a deserted island?

'Worst Case Scenario' hand book...duh!

4. One book that made you laugh?

"Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch"
by - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

5. One book that made you cry?

"Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver
- when the little girl died, I near lost it. Otherwise the book wasn't that great.

6. One book you wish had been written?

"Idiots Guide to Men"

7. One book you wish had never been written?

????

8. One book you are currently reading?

Prey - by Michael Creighton Not my usual kinda reading but I've never read one of his books before so I thought I'd give it a go. Otherwise I'd read anything not bolted down somewhere.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

The Automatic Millionaire. My banker gave it to me when I started up my RRSP contributions and highly suggetested reading it. There's no plot! Yeesh

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben, sister c here. i can't answer all of these right now, but i will say that i have read The Alienist, and it is really good. brother o recommended it to me, and i loved it.

i love to read but can never find enough time. i am actually in a book club, but i hardly ever read the whole book before our next meeting. i go for the great food and wonderful conversation. :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

1. One book that changed your life?

Aztec by Gary Jennings. Not for any great existential reason, but because it taught me that I can read books that are a thousand pages long.

2. One book you have read more than once?

Are you kidding me? Too many to count. I remember in grade school that I read The Boxcar Children six times in one week once. I absolutely loved (and still love) that book.

3. One book you would want on a deserted island?

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas because it's so freaking huge it might last me a while.

4. One book that made you laugh?

All of the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum books. I've laughed out loud at some of the ridiculousness that happens in them.

5. One book that made you cry?

Into Thin Air - actually most mountaineering books make me cry, either from tragedy or the accomplishment.

6. One book you wish had been written?

I have to agree with mcblogger on this one "Idiot's Guide to Men."

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Moll Flanders by Daniel Dafoe - the only book I've tried to read three times and could NOT finish. I have never cared so little for a protagonist. Although now that I think about it, For Love by some woman (Sue Miller, or something) sucked major canal water.

8. One book you are currently reading?

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

The list is endless!!!! But not only can I recommend The Alienist to you, I can recommend its sequel (something like Angel of Darkness) and his Sherlock Holmes book, which I finished in June and can't remember the title of, right now. Oh yeah, The Italian Secretary.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Charlie and the Charlie Factory? *laughing* does this factory make actual Charlies?

ahahahahah.
Sorry. That was a good title. I love that book as well. I love all Roald Dahl books. All of them.
Thanks for doing the tag, yo.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

It's one of his lesser known titles . . .

Gotta learn to think when I type.

Ben O.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Got a new answer to Book I've Been Meaning to Read: Don Quixote by Cervantes

9:39 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

1. One book that changed your life?

When I was a wee lass our English teacher assigned us Jack London's Call of the Wild. I haven't stopped being an avid reader since.

2. One book you have read more than once?

Dune. I've even bought several copies of it.

3. One book you would want on a deserted island?

My dictionary. It's huge and would probably make a good bonfire to signal passing planes/ships with.
To read? Oh. Can't decide.

4. One book that made you laugh?

Hitchikers Guide. From the first page. So much so that I would actually follow around family members and mercilessly quote whole paragraphs just so they would get the joke too! (They didn't seem to find them as funny as I did however.)
Also, I ditto mcBlogger's choice. Good Omens is hilarious.

5. One book that made you cry?

Dragaonlance. Can you belive that? Man I am such a sap!

6. One book you wish had been written?

Harry Potter. Seriously. I could use some of that dough.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Despite the fact that it spawned a pretty cool movie, The Bourne Identity was really boring. And all "tell all" books. They just bug me.

8. One book you are currently reading?

At the moment, nothing.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

Too many to name.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home