I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Monday, April 24, 2006

You Can Have The Cot

Okay, here's one for ya . . .

I think our TV is haunted.

Yep, that's what I said. Haunted . . . not like Poltergeist or Amityville Horror or even Scary Movie 19, but haunted nonetheless.

Here's the scenario . . .

My wife and I have just prepared a lovely meal of grilled salmon, mashed new potatoes and slow-baked asparagus. Two tall glasses of wine and the world's biggest digital cable remote and we're set for another enjoyable evening of food, conversation and "Deal or No Deal". A couple of clicks later and there it is - the tell-tale sign of the ghost in our flat-screened machine. Right when Howie Mandel is about to get funky and start straying from the script, a string of words suddenly appears across the screen in a blaze of mysterious glory.

"You can have the cot."

Hello!?!

That's what it said . . . "You can have the cot."

What cot?

I didn't even know I was in the market for a cot. For that matter, who uses cots anymore, anyway?

Now, this certainly is not the first time that our over-used and under-appreciated television set has felt the need to wax poetic in the form of spontaneously displayed text across the screen. Ordinarily, it's just random letters, numbers and/or symbols that we just write off as either residual energy build-up or possibly a minor possession by any number of lesser, wayward spirits. But this was the first time that it was even remotely intelligible . . . even if the meaning is still somewhat less than understandable.

Apparently, our lil' resident spook came across a copy of "Communicating from the Great Beyond for Dummies" and is now trying to tell us something.

Or maybe the parts of my mind that I'm losing now are finally the important parts.

Either way, I'll probably end up somewhere in the near future discussing this with a professional . . .

laying on a cot.


Ben O.

(BTW - Don't forget to click the Audiozue button if ya haven't already. Thanks!)

10 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

OK, first things first. That meal sounds yummy!
Second things second, that haunted TV thing is just plain spooky.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Uh . . . yep!

It is actually strange . . . we'll just be watching TV and all of a sudden things just start appearing on the screen.

I had to post about it when it started making sense.

(I can't believe I just said that.)

Ben O.

12:55 PM  
Blogger StringMan said...

Ghost ... or some kind of techie neighbor from Intel who has a strange sense of humor. Perhaps a call to Ghostbusters as a start?

Grilled salmon - my favorite. With a mango salsa it just can't be beat.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

You can have the cot?

One is left wondering if perhaps the TV got cut off from finishing it's sentance.

You can have the cot-tage cheese--maybe your TV was suggesting that cottage cheese would go nicely with salmon.

You can have the cot-ton-pickin'-good-for-nuthin' cable company or you can have dish network--a new advertising ploy?

I don't know Ben, nobody uses cots anymore.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Strings - I thought about that . . . someone could be sabotaging our evenings by hacking into our TV and sending strange coded signals. But then I realized that it's easier to believe that it's simply haunted.

Sadie - I hadn't even thought of that. You may be onto something. Could it possibly be "You can have the Cot . . . swold Noble Estate Manor"?

Sounds very Sherlock Holmes.

The plot thickens.

Ben O.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

What blows my mind is that you seem to think this is almost normal... "Ordinarily, it's just random letters, numbers and/or symbols..."

Uh, Ben? Just so you know... I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before. You should pitch this idea to Hollywood - you'd make a fortune.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Terri - the truth is that I actually think it is some sort of residual texting for the deaf, but for the life of me I don't know why it just appears randomly. We have never used that feature before.

Strange - Ben O.

1:50 PM  
Blogger flea said...

that is just "weird" with a capitol W

keep us posted should anything strange occur again! this stuff truly interets me.....

12:27 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I was coveting the potatoes and asparagus myself.

Weirdness in the Station household. Have you a second TV to move into the other's place and see if it's the TV or the location?

7:20 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

TVs are evil. You'll have things to do, then you'll see that a show you used to like is on. Next thing you know, the whole night is gone and you'll have to do it the next day.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home