I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Do You Think The Beatles Ever Lip-Synched?

Well, I was surfing some blogs this morning and I found something I just had to steal . . .

I was taking a look at Metal Mark's Blog "Heavy Metal Time Machine" and I came across a list of musical questions that I couldn't help but find interesting. Seeing as how it is "Music Week" here at The Station, I was all but obligated to snag Mark's list and make it my own.

I took the essence of his original post, changed a few things and here is my own version of Metal Mark's "10 Important Musical Questions" -

1. What is your favorite decade for music?
2. Who is the musician you respect the most?
3. Who is the musician you respect the least?
4. What was the first album you ever bought or that someone bought for you?
5. What was the first album you ever heard that you thought was great?
6. What is the most underrated band of all time?
7. What is the most overrated band of all time?
8. What is your favorite album of all time?
9. What is your favorite album cover of all time?
10. Do you think albums will even exist in 10 years?

My answers:

1. Believe it or not, the 1970's (I agree with Metal Mark all the way on this one). Some of the best music ever made came out of the 70's - Pink Floyd's "Animals", The Stones' "Some Girls", Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" . . . not to mention The Eagles, KISS, Led Zeppelin and a whole host of others. The 80's were pretty energetic and there is certainly plenty of great music from that and other decades, but for me it was the 70's. Heck, I even like disco.

2. This is tough. I respect a lot of musicians - Lindsay Buckingham, Joe Satriani, The Edge, Miles Davis, Neil Peart . . . I think my one person, though would have to be David Gilmour. He just embodies every nuance of what I find intellectual about music (specifically - Rock music). He writes good songs, he sings cool lyrics and he plays incredibly awesome guitar. The live show ain't bad either.

3. This one ain't quite so tough - Britney Aguillera Von Simpson. In case you were wondering - that's every single performer out there who has ever answered this question with a "Yes" - Do I care more about how my cover-shot on the new issue of "Teen-Steam" Magazine is going to look than how the music I am producing actually sounds?

4. The first "album" I remember owning was a cassette tape of "Rio" by Duran Duran. My family can attest to the fact that I played the crap out of it. Good stuff, though. I am very proud to say that my first CD was "The Joshua Tree" by U2 given to me by my beloved brother many, many Christmases ago. (Thanks for that, Brother O, btw.)

5. Had to think about this one awhile. Probably "Seven and The Ragged Tiger" by Duran Duran. What can I say . . . it was a long time ago and I was pretty into Simon le Bon and the fellows back when.

6. The most underrated band of all time has to be Echo & The Bunnymen. There are alot of underrated bands out there - The Smiths, Tears for Fears, ZZ Top . . . but no other musical act has consistently put out such heartfelt and evocative music as Echo & The Bunnymen for so long without getting any serious respect for it. I've even heard that U2 wanted to sound more like them when they first started playing. How's that for an endorsement?

7. The Beatles. Now, before I get a comment section full of hate mail . . . I like The Beatles. I like them alot, but I just do not see the blind devotion some people pay them. I'd probably have them somewhere near the top, but clearly behind Pink Floyd, U2, Zeppelin, and The Stones.

8. My favorite album of all time is "The Joshua Tree" by U2. "Moving Pictures" by RUSH and "Animals" by Pink Floyd are awesome as well, but if I could only take one with me as I board the lunar orbiter, it would have to be "The Joshua Tree". Get it out and give it another listen and see if you don't agree.

9. "The Joshua Tree" has a pretty cool cover, but the best of all time is probably something like Journey's "Frontiers" or "Very" by The Pet Shop Boys (look it up). I agree with Metal Mark that Maiden has some really cool looking covers. I remember working on getting my Eddie to look just right on my Trapper-Keeper back in Junior High. Wow, that was a long time ago.

10. I certainly hope so.


Ben O.

(BTW - Don't forget to click the Audiozue button if ya haven't already. Thanks!)

8 Comments:

Blogger flea said...

totally agree with you about the mucic from the 70's i dunno what it is about that era but man the mucis was wicked (must have been all the drugs...), nothing else has compared since

1:28 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

don't be ashamed of Duran Duran. I still like them and back in the day, I LOVED them.
It's taken me awhile to be proud of some of my musical tastes but now that I'm a grown up--I realize that good music is individual and unique. One of my favorite artists of all time is Prince (or the artist formally known as).
I'm not embarrassed.
He's super talented and if people want to deny it, they can look up all the songs he wrote for other people--you'd be surprised how many hit singles are credited to him.
I also love John Mayer and I get a ton of crap about that.
Nice choices here for your answers.
I agree with you and flea about music from the 70's. I would have to say that music from the 80's was pretty dang good too but I'm a dancer at heart.
I dig a quality dance beat as much as I dig sturdy rock.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Flea - The 70's were the decade where the beginnings laid down by Elvis, Buddy Holly and others were perfected and made into some of the best Rock n Roll music to date. Most bands today are still copying what came out of the 1970's. With that said, Every decade has produced good music. I love 80's music just like the next guy. I grew up on it, for cryin' out loud.

Sadie - Duran Duran is awesome. They had an awesome sound with Roger Taylor going to town on the drums and John Taylor (no relation)prancing and preening on bass. "Girls on Film", "Rio", "New Religion", "Planet Earth" . . . these would be big hits NOW if they came out. Still good stuff.

I also agree with Prince (I think he has gone back to Prince, since he never could get reservations at any of the better restaurants with that ridiculous simbol for a name.). He is actually a very, very good guitar player.

Ben O.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

BTW - why is nobody answering the question and listing their answers to the 10 questions?

Hop to it!

Ben O.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. What is your favorite decade for music?
70s for sure, Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Eagles, Marley, Sinatra, Cat Stevens (when he was still Cat)

2. Who is the musician you respect the most?
Willie Nelson, same guy today he was 30 years ago.

3. Who is the musician you respect the least?
Not sure...

4. What was the first album you ever bought or that someone bought for you?
Jackson Brown - The Pretender

5. What was the first album you ever heard that you thought was great?
Either Floyd - The Wall or Michael Jackson - Thriller

6. What is the most underrated band of all time?
There are lots of these:
- The Samples are SO good.
- Big Head Todd...
- Leo Kottke (guitar great & you probably never heard of him.
- Shawn McDonald
- Ben Harper

7. What is the most overrated band of all time?
Sean 'Puffy' Combs, How come I even know who this guy is? I don't know a single song he sings...But, I love'em.

8. What is your favorite album of all time?
Bob Marley - Exodus, it is the album that all other albums are measured against.

9. What is your favorite album cover of all time?
hmmmm...
Dark Side of the Moon?

10. Do you think albums will even exist in 10 years?
not likely

2:56 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I'll do the list as a blog post?
Yes.
That'll do.

3:54 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

1. What is your favorite decade for music?
I don't think I have a favorite decade. If pressed I might say the sixties since this was the decade that witnessed the birth of ROCK music as we know it today (via the Beatles).
2. Who is the musician you respect the most?
Ian Mackaye
3. Who is the musician you respect the least?
Vince Neil, killer.
4. What was the first album you ever bought or that someone bought for you?
Kiss-Alive
5. What was the first album you ever heard that you thought was great?
Kiss-Alive (I was like 6 or 7 and didn't know it wasn't a real live album)
6. What is the most underrated band of all time?
The Beatles. You can state the simple fact that they created rock music and it's still an understatement. They took rock n roll and broadened it's horizons and influenced everyone that followed. Some people might not like them and that's fair enough, but to deny that their influence far outreaches every other band is just a lie. Click here for more info on my opinion about this topic.
7. What is the most overrated band of all time?
Rolling Stones. AC/DC is a close second.
8. What is your favorite album of all time?
Paul Simon-Graceland
9. What is your favorite album cover of all time?
It's hard to pick from all the Iron Maiden covers!
10. Do you think albums will even exist in 10 years?
Yes. It looked like they were goners in the early 90s, but they stick around for collector nerds like me.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bob_vinyl >> cheers, the Beatles rock! I love even there not so popular stuff. Very influential band.

Paul Simon's Graceland album is a must have album too.

and yes, the Stones are overrated. Oh, there a fine band, but rarely do I find their stuff in my cd player...

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home