I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Coca Cola - It's Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

Okay, here's one for ya . . .

Why the heck do Dr. Pepper and Coke run ads on television? It's not like I spend all of my spare time just sitting around downstairs on the couch in my undies waiting for some creepily over zealous spokesperson with way-too-big teeth to wipe away decades of intensely loyal Coke drinking with a couple of cute, sparkling words about how good Dr. Pepper is supposed to taste. Here's a little tip - I don't like it, dude. And while I'm at it . . . I don't like you . . . dude.

Now I'm certainly no financial wiz-kid, but couldn't at least a portion of all those bloated advertising budgets be better utilized simply by handing out little cards with crisp dollar bills attached saying "Enjoy the free money, please drink our product"?

Why just last week, myself and the overworked, underappreciated Procrastination Station student-intern personally took an informal 275,000 person survey and even though all but 3 of the individuals we approached replied that they were "moderately to extremely uncomfortable" with the people administering the questions, the good news is that every single person on the planet checked the box labeled - "I will never ever switch from my favorite soft-drink to brand X no matter how many scantily-clad babes are dancing around in tight, sequined outfits and no matter how often the most popular baseball player in the big leagues says he likes it."

All-righty then . . . now I'm just waiting for those scientific studies that have discovered the proof that Coke is actually good for you to come rolling on in.

Still waiting . . .


Ben O.

BTW - I actually do spend some of my time sitting around downstairs on the couch in my undies . . . but I'm never gonna switch to the darkside.

Take that - Dr. Pepper!

13 Comments:

Blogger fakies said...

I like Dr. Pepper alright, but I'll drink Coke if I have to also. That said, there is no substitution for Mountain Dew.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Steph - I thought you liked Sprite . . . Are you feeding us bad information here?

Trin - That is interesting - I always get a kick out of things like that. I just don't like some things and no amount of commercialization will break me. That said, I am very happy for you and your triumverate (sp?) of soda bliss.

Ben O.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Just finishing up my last drop of ice cold Dr.Pepper for breakfast while reading your post. Coke is more a supper drink.
Do you leave the lights off while sitting on the couch in your undies watching tv or do you leave the lights on? Just curious.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

I knew I should have kept that nugget of information to myself.

Ben O.

10:17 AM  
Blogger jenbeauty said...

Pepsi please!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I actually prefer Pepsi :-)
Here's a snippet about Coke: I know a guy who worked with charities in Afghanistan a while back. They built the very first road into a particular valley there, and the women & children in the village had never seen a car before, didn't know what cars were, even... but they had Coca Cola there! Yep trekked it in on Donkeys.
Now that's what I call marketing!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Sass said...

On the soap box a little here?

tssssssss....


I prefer red bull and I am still waiting for those wings.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I am doing a scientific study of my own that is why I asked if you sat with lights on or off. It is a dark job but someone needs to ask the male species these questions. LOL

2:16 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

I think what brand cola you drink is a family thing. My mom drinks Coke, so now both my sister and I do.
Kinda sad, no?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Coke, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi... it all pales in comparison to a good quad-shot latte...

3:51 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Dr. Pepper is yummy--akin to carbonated prune juice which is a delicacy in France.
I like Pepsi. Coke sucks.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Sadie Lou, Sadie Lou . . . and here, I thought we were kindred spirits!! I actually used to drink Coke, but was offended when a clerk would ask me, Will Pepsi do, we don't have Coke. In that case I usually ordered iced tea. Then I started substituting Dr. Pepper. Now, my real craving at least once a day is for Dr. Pepper, and NO, it doesn't have a drop of prune juice in it! I have toured the home of Dr. Pepper in Waco TX, and they assured me of that fact. D.P. doesn't burn all the way down like coke does!!! But each to his own. That's what makes the world go round, they say! MOM

3:17 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

No Coke or Dr. Pepper for me. Vernor's or Faygo Pineapple Orange are my choice, but I rarely drink them.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home