I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Monday, November 10, 2008

Feedback Monday (#80)


So, I'm watching Star Wars (here he goes again with the Star Wars fetish) and I noticed for the first time, a tiny chink in the armor of complete and total believability. You know at the end of the original movie . . . where the old guy (Grand Moff Tarkin) is presiding over what has to be the slowest chase seen in the history of the cinema? Let me refresh your memory - this guy is driving a giant metal ball of Death Starness and he has to get into position to shoot his "laser" (said in your best Dr. Evil voice) at the Rebel base. The only problem is that there is a pesky planet in the way . . . AND While he is puttering around out there in deep space, a handful of Rebel dudes are buzzing around like gnats, trying to land the Universe's most perfect shot ever, which as we all know, will end the movie.

So, that brings us to my believability dilemma - Remember the handy dandy death ray Tarkin has at his disposal? the one that we have already established, has the incomparable power to destroy planets?

Yes, that one.

Why, does he take his merry time to skirt around the problematic planet? Why not simply fire up that giant ball of hot death and blow the impediment to smithereens?

Hey, I'm no interplanetary expert, but it seems like a good idea in retrospect.



So, with that - why don't we stay in the Star Wars universe for this week's poll.

For the feedback portion of Feedback Monday, what is your favorite movie in the Star Wars franchise?

Tell us all about it. You might even win a prize.


Should be interesting,

Ben O.

(Prize is subject to availability - which at last check was nill.)

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

The original is my favorite.

Hmmm, you're right. They didn't have any problem blowing up a planet earlier in the movie, so I doubt it was ethics or morals holding them back.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Yep, that old dude didn't have the biggest box of morals around, did he?

12:14 AM  
Blogger Glenn said...

Dude, you know how long it takes to warm that thing up for planet destruction? They were probably storing power to to take that shot for days/weeks. Can't waste a shot on a stupid moon while the rebels are attacking. Of course, they might have tried a different approach but then they couldn't have used the moons gravity for assisted propulsion and would've had to divert the extra power on approach instead of storing energy for the shot. It was barely a calculated risk given the non-threat of stupid X-wings and obsolete Y-wings attacking a Tie fighter defended Death Star.

...and the original (first realeased) is the best of the films.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Well said, Glenn. I can see that the Force flows strongly in you.

Ben O.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh heavens, Glenn made me laugh out loud and tears came to my eyes. That was hilarious.

6:07 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Empire Strikes Back, but I don't think I would like it as much without the first. ;) And I like Return of the Jedi when I pretend all the ewoks are wookies. Because the storm troopers being defeated by full grown wookies I can understand. Being defeated by walking angry care bears I can't.

3:43 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

BTW, we don't know what's on the moon. Could have mines with dilithium crystals and if they were exposed to the void of space would loose the potency so they decided it would be too great a financial lose to blow it up and let the rebels know they were there. Plus, how close did they have to be to the planet to blow it up? You don't want all that debris from a blowed up moon in your way, boucin' off your force field.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Episode VII, where Luke discovers how fun it is to be the only guy in the universe to have the Force, and ends up turning to the dark side just so he can steal french fries from across the room.

Or maybe that was Episode VIII...

12:58 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

When I was little, I was all about The Empire Strikes Back, cuz the ewoks were so cute and fuzzy and I wanted to lovethemandhugthemandcallthemGeorge. However, I now see that the first two were necessary as well, especially since Star Wars should only be watched in sets of 3. The first 3, of course. I refuse to believe the new ones even belong in the same realm.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home