I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Thanks for The Memories

Okay, here's one for ya . . .

So, the big "First Father's Day/Birthday Celebration Galore" Weekend is over and only one person got sent to prison. That's pretty good considering the riff-raff we have working here at The Station in our Summer Intern Program. I was particularly worrisome that the people down the hall on staff at the ever-popular blog "I Love My Hamster" would finally decide that they had heard enough and march their spindly, geeky legged selves down here and get all up in our faces. But, it never happened.

Thankfully.

The last time we upset those guys was about a year ago at the annual "All building Dodgeball and Mayhem Meet-n-Greet Picnic" out in the parking lot of our 7 story magna-boring office complex. Apparently Evil Twin Biff was refilling his tequila spritzer when they discussed the portion of the rules that included that part about (and I quote) "Nailing a nerd upside his geek-encrusted head-melon". Anyway, suffice it to say that surrounded by 12 and a half angry hamster enthusiasts wielding bags full of cheetos and over-inflated dodgeballs is not exactly where you want to find yourself on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

I can still feel the sting.

This year, however, was much more enjoyable. The food was exceptional and whoever was incharge of hiring that heavy-metal Air Supply cover band deserves a promotion. I can say with utmost confidence that I will probably never hear another 27 minute, multi-guitar solo version of "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" again no matter how long I live.

The absolute best part of the entire weekend, though was the gifts. Say what you will about Procrastination Station employees, but when it comes to honoring one of their own, they go above and beyond. I think I can actually wear some of those clothes in public and that inflatable body-part life raft . . . that is really gonna come in handy the next time we hit the beach.

So, before we go and get too sentimental, let me just thank everyone for the lovely birthday sentiments and over-the-top cubicle decorations. They say that you really only have one true birthday and every other year after that you are actually celebrating the anniversary of that first birthday. Well, this year's anniversary was certainly a good one.


Ben O.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Happy Belated Birthday & Father's Day! I spent Sunday in the Austin airport trying to get the hell out of Dodge (or Texas).

7:58 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Thank you - did you make it?

Ben O.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lunch11 said...

Yes, Happy Belated Birthday and First Father's Day! I am sure that it was a special one indeed. Air Supply?...I can hear All Out of Love -- which I am sure you are not -- ringing in my ears with visions of the local gymnasium dancing in my head. Ahh...gotta love the 80s.

For a little reminder...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HejVjzhKTY

3:20 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Twelve hours later I got to Detroit and was oh so happy to be here.

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, happy to leave Austin and get to Detroit? Ah well, home is where the heart is, I suppose. And those storms Sunday were IN-SANE. I live in the DFW area and we got in excess of 5 inches of rain that night...

Happy Birthday Ben! And Happy (First) Father's Day!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, I have to say that with a most recent post titled "Thanks for the memories", it makes it look like you're not coming back... :-)

9:18 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Nope, totally coming back. I have been really busy lately, but I'm not going anywhere.

I have too much fun doing this.

Ben O.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew. I saw that title and I was hoping we won't be losing another good blogger.

A heavy metal Air Supply cover band? Wasn't that one of the signs of the upcoming Apocalypse?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

I haven't commented over here in a while but also wanted to say happy belated ...

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home