I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Monday, June 26, 2006

They Don't Make 'em Like They Used To

Okay, here's one for ya . . .

Remember the "Golden Days of Yore" (I'm not really sure what that means, actually) when people would save their money for months and months in order to purchase the newest and coolest device out there that they had been fantasizing about forever, and upon attaining ultimate glory, would never let the device out of their sight while successfully playing it into that familiar "scratched-to-hell" appearance and the ever popular "burned-out-yet-somehow-still-able-to-perform" oblivion?

Me too - although not fondly.

I actually have a Walkman that I think was made before Justin Timberlake was born. It still plays music, but don't even try to put a CD in it or download your favorite songs from iTunes.

No Sir - I have two words for ya . . .

Cassette Tape

It's not like I actually use it anymore. I'm hip . . . I access the internet.

All I'm gettin' at is that the saying is, at least in this case, entirely true - "They don't make 'em like they used to". This gigantic, plastic monstrosity will undoubtedly still be chuggin' away long after Steve Jobs and all those lil' white boxes have all disappeared into some unspeakable digital vortex of random bits and bytes.

Too bad all my tapes melted away long ago on the dash in the midday heat. I was looking forward to jamming with a little Asia.

(Ten points to anyone who can actually name 3 Asia songs).


Ben O.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel like an ass. i know not one song by asia.
i do have really fond memories of my cheap sony walkman. it lasted forever. in fact... i think it's still in my garage. ahhh.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

I have some old Tiffany and Debbie Gibson cassette tapes I can send your way, if you want them.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Stepha - Asia was the so called "Super-Group" of the early eighties that had hits with "Heat of the Moment", "Only Time Will Tell" and "Don't Cry". Certainly not worth feeling like a small donkey over.

:)

Violet - Do you have the song "I Think We're Alone Now"? That one was actually pretty catchy.

Ben O.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I actually saw Asia in concert and dear God was it awful. I did NOT need the ten minute guitar solo or the ten minute drum solo or the hour and a half keyboard/organ solo. It was pure hell.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Blogarita said...

Heat of the Moment
Sole Survivor
Only Time Will Tell

They were big around the time I graduated from HS. I didn't listen to them much after that first album.

8:51 AM  
Blogger mcBlogger said...

Can't think of any Asia songs, but I did have Kenny Rogers on eight-track when I was kid. So I definitely remember the good ol days of yore.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

EEK, Mcblogger.....so did I!!! Well...my parents did.....as well as lots of other "old" music.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. How these devices evolve! I bring my disc player to the gym and people look at me like I'm a dinosaur.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Blur said...

Asia -
Heat of the Moment
Soul Survivor
er.... My mind has gone soft at altitude.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Kathleen - Don't like guys playing with their organs huh?

(sorry)

Blogarita - 10 points (they're wothless)

McBlogger - Kenny Rogers actually sounds better on 8 track . . . look it up.

Chelle - My parents actually tried the world's only known 8-track to Cd transfer. Needless to say it didn't work too well.

Lightning Bug's Butt - Remember the big boomboxes? Now that was some serious musical technology.

Blur - How about 7 points for effort.

This is great -

Ben O.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

Only one I could think of not already mentioned is "Praying For A Miracle."

"I Think We Are Alone Now" the original by Tommy James & the Shondelles is the best version.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home