I Can't Really Complain . . . But I Still Do
My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The hammer or the nail

Okay, I've got Bryan Ferry's "More Than This" on the MP3 player, the ice is just starting to melt down into a tall glass of Coke, some dude is mowing the lawn directly outside the window and according to my watch it's time to write again. Everyone got their couches covered in plastic?

Would you rather burn to death or freeze to death? Everyone living has been asked this less-than-cheery question at least once. For some reason, your answer can tell some deep, dark truth about you or something like that. I guess. I myself am more of a "prefers the cold" kind of person, but that does not (repeat - DOES NOT) mean that I would check box B on a "Pick your method of demise" quiz. It just doesn't work that way. Maybe it's one of those situations where too much of a good thing is actually bad. In my case the good thing would be cooler temperatures and Winter weather. Sounds primo, right? Wax up those skis and we'll hit the slopes. But . . . take it to the max and it kind of ruins the whole experience. Polar Fleece can only do so much. Maybe we have a lifetime average temperature quotient and when we spend too much time frolicking around in one extreme, we have to pay up and do the time wallowing around in the other.

Where was I going with this?

I just finished a pretty good book this morning. I want to avoid turning this into a "buy this, read this, think the same way I do about everything" cookie-cutter type blog, but I will occasionally include some info about music, movies and books that I may or may not have enjoyed. (It's my blog and so I can do those sorts of things. Hey, I like music darn-it-all!) It can be hard to find things to listen to and watch and read. I'll be the first to admit that I certainly get stuck in my own predictable patterns - sometimes longing for a friend to mention a song or book that they really got their money's worth out of. So, if you are doing fine with your current Summer book-club reading selections and don't need some "Hey everyone, I just got myself a Blog and now I'm gonna tell everyone how I feel" doofus mentioning yet another book . . . then you will kindly save us all some additional grief and ignore the next 24 words. Within the past couple of weeks I just finished "Can a Smart Person Believe in God?" by Michael Guillen and "Bias" by Bernard Goldberg. I'll leave it at that for now.


Give it time . . . it'll grow on you.

Ben O.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me more about your books. We are in a book club here, and are always looking for good ones to recommend for the next month. NJO

12:35 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Hey Mom - the two books I mentioned are both non-fiction. One is about Liberal Bias in the media and the other is an interesting look at how one can be into science and still believe in God. They are both really interesting, but might not be the best choices for a bookclub. Has your group read "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffeneger?

10:22 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

For someone who is always into books, check out nypinta.blogspot.com - she spends half her paycheck at Amazon.com!

2:16 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

LOL. Um, yeah. I do.
Sadly, I even have buttons for books I like with a link to amazon.com for everyones' convenience. :P

PS- Loved Time Travelers Wife.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Dude - someone actually answered the freakin' question.

Awesome - Ben O.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Given the choice I would have to pick the monty Python answer and be chased off a cliff by a nude femal rugby team.

But hey that is just me.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home